:::all things bright and beautiful:::


What a quarter of a life has taught me..

When you want something badly.. I mean reaallllly want it, the only way you can get it is by convincing yourself and the powers that be that you actually don't want it at all. Not one bit.

Yep. That's the only way.

13 Responses to “What a quarter of a life has taught me..”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    absolutely spot on.. it just works for me that way.. glad you have picked it up too... good transformation between ages 24-25 thanks to yours truly.. ;)  

  2. # Blogger autogato

    Is it your birthday? Happy Birthday, my dear, I am sorry I missed it!

    Hm. What an interesting lesson. I prefer to think of it as delay of gratification. Some things we want, but it's not the right time. SO it's not always convincing ourselves that we don't want them, but rather, that we can wait for them.  

  3. # Blogger sou

    the kid - credit stealer!

    autogato - yes u missed it :( after all the HINTS and the shameless advertising :`( *snifffffff* how could youuuuu...  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Hmmm, I don't know. I think it all washes out. You just have to get on the road to where you want to go and start walking.  

  5. # Blogger autogato

    I'm so sorry I missed it!! Oh NO!!!!

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO SOU!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

    (Imagine me singing that horribly off key).  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    thats an odd way to get something you want. heres my logic. when you want something and you get it you are a happy puppy..but then you get something you dont 'want' whats the point in getting it...say i want a mobile phone, you convince yourself that you dont want it and then you get it...what would you feel...what the heck?? i didnt want this :) now to get something you convince yourself that you dont want it...but then the secret agenda behind the whole process is wanting it...so you never actually came over your desire of wanting it...am i getting confused or confusing others???
    neways a very happy birthday doc...btw when was it??? quite a question to ask after wishing you :D...was it during the DVD weekend???

    --gullu  

  7. # Anonymous Anonymous

    sounds like a reverse motivation technique.. its one of the ways, not the only way.
    and then again there is the need vs. want bit.

    whatever suits you though :)  

  8. # Blogger See Bee

    BULL!

    if you want something really really really bad and strategise and plan the right way, you WILL get it - be it tickets for the first day first show of harry potter, or a date with ur office crush, or nirvana.

    of course, what you wish for should be something that you BELIEVE can happen...as in if u wish to be on the moon tomorrow at 12 pm, it may not happen..but if u say "i will be on the moon after 5 years", i think it can happen

    how badly u want something is directly proportionate to how much you will plot and plan to get it ;)why do you think we have the saying "where there is a will, there is a way"  

  9. # Blogger See Bee

    so, what did u want for ur budday that u did not get??

    perhaps ur 'strategy' should have been to post ur bday wish list on ur blog ;)  

  10. # Blogger sou

    these "wise" words i've posted actually came to me coz this birthday i didn't want anything and life insisted on giving me more and more..

    :p

    the one point which was an underlying thing in my mind and this post was what gullu kinda said. it's about having a nice "detached" attitude even towards things you desire.  

  11. # Blogger plush

    oo...ur b'day...:)...yappy (belated)birthdayyyy sou...and yep..reverse psychology works for me almost aaall the time...but if u reaaallly want something,then u have to let ur jekyl or hyde do a little wishing and then say...."my,my...what a pleasant surpriiise..."..oh,plz xcuse the kkkiran effect...its friday...:)...  

  12. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Hey, sorry I missed posting a comment on your actual B-Day! Unfortunately, your B-Day coincides with the holiday season here. (And oh, I was busy . . .)

    I agree that what you say is often true when you need something from people. Not necessarily when you need something inanimate.

    Also, I think that what you're saying has a kind of truth to it (as others here have said) in the sense that by lessening desires, you seem to get more of what you really want (though it may not be what you originally wanted; or at least, not in the form you originally wanted it).

    I've tried this a few times. Alas, I'm really awful at killing desire. I've stopped shotting for the enlightened ideal of Buddhism and Hinduism. I just find I don't get very close at all. I do better with the ancient philosophical ideal of Epicureanism, perhaps simply because it doesn't really teach you could possibly eliminate or completely control desire, though you can regulate and moderate it. (And I do think I often manage to regulate and moderate. Usually.)

    Anyway, yeah, there's a primordial wisdom in learning to curb your desires!  

  13. # Anonymous Anonymous

    TQ,

    Oh, gosh, I'm so glad I never really dated my office crush! She's very pretty and kind, but we don't have much in common. What disaster: to work with somebody you used to date!!! Lot of room for trouble there . . .  

Post a Comment



© 2006 :::all things bright and beautiful::: | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health